Saturday, November 27, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Sorry I didn't update on Thursday, but I was at my sister's and couldn't move my pictures from my phone. I wanted to share with everyone my first attempt at doing an entire Thanksgiving, so I took a bunch of pictures.

The day started with prepping the turkey. A little bath in the sink, some salt and pepper, and then the poor guy got stuffed with The Pioneer Woman's Cornbread Stuffing/Dressing, only without the mushrooms. Let me tell you, it came out wonderfully.

While I was preheating the oven (and baking the bread I had started the night before: shallot and sage bread) I made some kale chips for me to snack on all day.

Then Mr. Gobble Gobble went in the oven and I went to work making the compound butter to put on the outside. A stick and a half of butter in a sauce pan, add plenty of thyme and sage, let it go for a minute or two, then turn off the heat. After an hour in the oven, I slathered that all over the warm turkey.

Cover, baste every 45 minutes, and then take the top off and up the temp to 400 for the last 45 minutes. This was the result.

Crispy, flavorful skin and moist, fully cooked, and flavorful stuffing.

Then I made some other stuff and it all looked delicious
We had turkey, stuffing (from the bird, and vegetarian), maple glazed carrots, roasted (burned) and glazed butternut squash and parsnips, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, shallot and sage bread, and gravy. Oh yeah, and canned cranberry. Apparently, it was all a big hit.

In other news, look at this turkey:
He and I both passed out right after dinner.

1 comment: